NWCFL Matchday Review 2019/20 #19

Sun 13th October 2019 | Match Reviews
By Craig Kendall

The Buildbase FA Vase took centre stage once again this afternoon on #NonLeagueDay, with 20 NWCFL sides competing in the prestigious competition.

Eight NWCFL sides managed to book their place in Monday's draw. Barnoldswick Town were the biggest winners of the afternoon, beating fellow NWCFL side Abbey Hey 5-0 - Richard Seear grabbing a brace in front of 165 spectators.

Congleton Town had to wait until Daniel Cope's 90th-minute penalty hit the back of the net before they could celebrate a fine 2-1 win over Barrow Town, whilst Lower Breck beat fellow NWCFL side Charnock Richard 5-2 in a thriller at PR7.

A superb crowd of 289, witnessed 120 minutes of exciting action as Vauxhall Motors beat Jarrow FC 2-1, whilst Longridge Town won 4-2 against Crook Town, and Wythenshawe Town won 2-0 at Nostell Miners Welfare.

Maine Road was heading for an FA Vase exit with ten minutes to go losing 2-0 to Glasshoughton Welfare, but a Jamie Hill 80th minute striker followed by a 92nd-minute equaliser from Ben Mooney sent the tie into extra-time. Two goals in the first half of extra-time eventually sealed the win and a place in the next round.

An all-NWCFL tie saw Rylands win 3-0 against Bootle to make it seven NWCFL sides through to the next round.

Unfortunately, several of our sides exited at the First Round stage. Hanley Town bowed out after injury time 2-1, to NCEL side AFC Mansfield, whilst Alsager Town lost by the same scoreline versus Lutterworth Town.

Sandbach United lost 3-1 away at Atherstone Town, meanwhile, Chadderton lost by the same scoreline by Guisborough Town and a Jordan Cox brace guided Droitwich Spa to a 2-0 win against Whitchurch Alport.

Bishop Auckland narrowly defeated Padiham 1-0, whilst Selby Town swept aside Cheadle Town 5-1 in front of 336, meanwhile, Shildon defeated West Didsbury & Chorlton 2-0, and Sunderland Ryhope CW defeated Ashton Athletic 2-0.

Garstang and FC Oswestry Town battled out their PlayerMatch.com Cup 2nd Round tie which went all the way to penalties in a see-saw match which was won by Oswestry 5-4 on penalties after the tie ended 2-2.

In the NWCFL top flight, 1874 Northwich went top of the league with a 4-0 victory over Squires Gate, whilst Winsford United moved into the top half of the table after their 3-1 win over Avro. Runcorn Town and Skelmersdale United battled out a goalless draw.

Five games took place in the NWCFL First Division North, with AFC Liverpool being the biggest winners of the afternoon, beating AFC Darwen 8-0 - Rhys Hardacre netting a hat-trick as they climbed to tenth in the standings. 

Pilkington's Deklan Hill bagged a brace as they got back to winning ways in the league with a 2-0 win over Atherton LR, whilst a thriller at Nelson saw Daisy Hill win 6-3 with both sides winning at one point but it was Brian Hart's side who triumphed.

Over at Prestwich Heys, Holker Old Boys returned home with all three points following a 2-1 win, whilst a 92nd-minute winner from Finn Donavon saw Emley AFC win 3-2 over St Helens Town - a win which moved them up to sixth in the standings.

Just two games took place in the First Division South, as Cheadle Heath Nomads recorded a 3-2 win against St Martins, and Cammell Laird 1907 and Ellesmere Rangers battled out a 2-2 draw rounding off another fine afternoon's worth of action in the NWCFL.

Cleator Moor Celtic advanced in the Cumberland Senior Cup as they won 4-0 away at Wetheriggs United - scorers coming from all over the pitch for Craig Routledge's side.

In the Sheffield & Hallamshire Senior Cup 1st Round Shelley advanced with a 2-0 win over Phoenix FC.

The action returns on Tuesday with a whole host of fixtures in the NWCFL.

Main photograph by James Lobley.

Our Sponsors & Partners

Our Sponsors & Partners