Mixed fortunes for NWCFL Clubs in the FA Cup Preliminary Round

Sun 13th September 2020 | Emirates FA Cup
By Gary Langley

Fifteen Clubs took part in Saturday's Preliminary Round games but only eight came out of the other side (including Litherland Remyca who progress due to the withdrawal of Droylesden) on a day of mixed fortunes for NWCFL Clubs.  

Of course there were always going to be some shocks in both victory and defeat and one of the biggest this weekend was arguably at Pavilions where Runcorn Town of the Premier Division beat Brighouse Town of the Northern Premier League West Division, 5-4 on penalties after the tie finished 1-1  after 90 minutes .  Warrington Rylands also impressed in their first FA Cup game by beating Step 4 club Clitheroe 1-0, whilst at the DCBL Stadium, Longridge Town recorded a very impressive 3-2 win away at Widnes.

Elsewhere, Squires Gate put in a valiant display at Michael Clegg's Ashton United but they were beaten 2-0 with goals from Brad Lynch and Josh Wilson. Hanley Town easily despatch Gresley Rovers with an eye-catching 5-1 home win, aided by a hat-trick from Kieran Brown whilstat the Marine Travel Arena,  Barnoldswick came close to a shock win at Marine as the were leading up until the 87th minute, a familiar name to the NWCFL in Ryan Wignall levelled the tie on 87 minutes and Josh Hmani netted in added time to end Barlick's hopes.

St Helens Town were beaten 3-0 at Mossley, the home side being very strong on the day and St Helens struggled early on to adapt to the pace in a decent game at Seel Park in front of 329 fans.  Irlam also faced a difficult day at Ramsbottom United, they started well though with Connor Martin putting the Premier Division side ahead on 9 minutes but Ramsbottom clicked in the second half and netted four to end Irlams hopes.  Bootle travelled to NWCFL old-boys Silsden and put in a solid performance which saw the Sefton based club run out 5-2 winners on the road, largely assisted by a Tom Peterson hat-trick.

Whitchurch Alport travelled to Westfield but ended up on the reverse end of a 2-0 defeat whilst Wythenshawe Amateurs hosted Northern Premier League Trafford but ended up being well beaten on the day with Trafford running out 4-1 winners but in front of an impressive capacity crowd of 300.

In the two NWCFL ties, Skelmersdale United travelled to Congleton and came away with a 2-1 win.  Arron Johns put the Bears ahead on 29 minutes, however goals from Emini Adenbegro on 39 minutes and Daniel Murphy on 79 minutes put Skem through to the next round.  Northwich Victoria and Charnock Richard shared four goals over the 90 minutes in a topsy-turvey game at the Wincham Park when Matt Birchall put The Vics ahead just three minutes in, Carl Grimshaw levelled from the spot on 70 minutes before Danny Regan put Charnock Richard ahead 8 minutes later only for Saul Henderson to level the tie on 86 minutes.  Ultimately it was Charnock Richard who won the tense penalties session 5-4 to progress.

Our Sponsors & Partners

Our Sponsors & Partners