Looking Back - We take a look back at the Weekends Vase games

Mon 13th September 2021 | Buildbase FA Vase
By Gary Langley

Looking Back… We take a look at the weekend’s games involving our NWCFL Clubs as fortunes were mixed but the quality of the football was, as always, superb. The Buildbase FA Vase took centre stage this weekend with a number of clubs cautiously optimistic this season having seen how the likes of Rylands got on last season.

The action started on Friday night as a brace from Ben Burnett gave Golcar United a 2-1 away win at Handsworth, an impressive performance which sees them host Wythenshawe Amateurs in the Second Qualifying Round as a reward.

There were mixed fortunes for our clubs on Saturday, Cleator Moor Celtic gained an eye-catching away win at Sunderland West End, coming from behind to win 3-2 on the day. Cheadle Heath Nomads ended St Helens Town’s hopes with a 0-4 win at The Arcoframe Stadium, a couple of goals from Kyle Foley helping the Nomads progress on the day. Padiham hosted North Shield on Saturday but they were also beaten by four goals as a hat-trick from Dan Wilson helped the North East side through to the next stage.

It was not a great weekend for Ashton Town, having parted company with Manager, Dave Dempsey they also had their Vase hopes ended by way of a 4-1 defeat at Runcorn Town who have found some form in recent games. Ryan Cox put Town ahead on four minutes with goals added by Kev Exell, Tom Ruffer and Kieran Holsgrove.

There were 507 fans at Wincham Park to watch Northwich Victoria host Bury this weekend. They were treated to a great game that saw Bury progress with a 2-1 win, both goals coming from Aiden Chippendale. Burscough also progressed with a 2-1 win over Hallam, goals from Josh Quarless and Declan Daniels seeing them through to the next round where they will host Irlam, who beat Cheadle Town 1-0 to secure their passage.

Chadderton made relatively light work of Athersley Recreation with a decent 1-5 away win over in Barnsley, Ethan Sutcliffe and Jordan Schofield both bagging a brace assisted by Harry Dean also netting. An away trip to former NWCFL side Emley AFC await Cheddy in the next round. They will be joined by Skelmersdale United who recorded a comprehensive 9-1 win over Retford, hat-tricks from Elliot Morris and Michael Howard helping Skem ease through to the next round.

An 80th minute penalty from Jordan Lazenbury was enough to put in-form Abbey Hey through to the next round at the expense of Ashton Athletic whilst Bacup also progressed with the only goal of their game with Penistone Chuch, Lewis-Simon Byrne doing the honours for Brent Peters’ much improved side. A couple of goals from Joe Rathbone put Avro through to the next round as they put paid to Division One North side AFC Darwen’s Vase hopes.

Brocton are also out, they came up against a much-fancied Boldmere St Michaels side over the weekend and the visitors backed up their fancied tag with a 5-1 win at the Division One South side. Barnton are also out, they lost to the only game at Dronfield Town who travel to face South Liverpool in the next round. Ilkley also exit the competition at this stage by way of a 2-1 home defeat to Penrith.

Macclesfield are also out, they went down 3-2 at Winterton Rangers, leaving them to concentrate on the league this season.

Litherland Remyca’s Vase hopes are over for another season, they were well-beaten by Premier Division side, Wythenshawe Town, four goals from Matty Bryan did most of the damage, Town will travel to Bacup in the next round. St Martins exit at the first stage having had a bad day at the office being on the end of a 18-0 hiding at home to Hinckley, the Leicestershire side were ruthless on the day. Cause for optimism though for St Martins, as they have today appointed Josh Gough as Manager, so they will be looking for a swift upturn in form.

West Didsbury & Chorlton continued their excellent form as they beat Nostell Miners Welfare 3-2, Winsford United joining them in the next round as they recorded a decent looking 3-1 home win over Stapenhill.

There are always penalty dramas in this competition and this weekend saw its fair share of them with differing results for our sides. Steeton held West Allotment Celtic 5-5 on the road only to lose the shoot-out 4-3, continuing Steeton’s run of back luck of late. Squires Gate held Garforth Town 1-1 at The Brian Addison Stadium but they also went down 4-3 in their shoot-out.

New Mills are through, they drew 1-1 with Armthorpe Welfare in the 90 minutes but took the win from the spot-kicks by 6 goals to five setting up a fascinating home tie with AFC Liverpool.

Campions campaign ended from the spot, they held Newton Aycliffe to a respectable 3-3 draw at the Players Cars stadium, however the tie had to be settled on the day and Aycliffe ended up 3-2 winners from the spot. Barnoldswick and AFC Blackpool shared 6 goals between them over 90 minutes and then shared 17 penalties, Barlick’ the winners from the shoot-out and they will host Heaton Stannington in the next round.

On Sunday there were two further games, Alsager travelled to Dudley Town and were unlucky on the day, despite a good performance they were beaten 0-2. There was better fortune for Maine Road however as they beat Worsborough Bridge Athletic 2-1 on the road to set up a next round tie at Goole.

Our Sponsors & Partners

Our Sponsors & Partners